Monday, August 5, 2013

If you give a designer a project...

Ya know that classic children's book If You Give A Mouse A Cookie? It goes...
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he will ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he will probably ask for a straw. When's he's finished, he'll probably ask you for a napkin..."
and so on and so on it goes, one thing leading to another, until he eventually asks for a cookie again and the whole thing starts over. Yeah, I feel like I am having one of those "if you give a mouse a cookie" moments, except it's not about cookies. It's about design.

Even though I now work in ministry, I am an interior design by education and trade. I still love it and dream about it and blow countless hours looking at ideas online and planning future projects. In all that time I have noticed something "mouse-like" about myself and it's this:
If you give a designer a project, it will evitably lead to at least 20 more in this rapid, cookie-wanting like, designer snowball.
Take this Friday for instance. Our exterior entryway was in need of some major cleaning since it was starting to look a little too much like Mrs. Havisham's house from Great Expectations. As I was scrubbing the walls, door, stoop, and steps I started to think about the new plants I needed to get to replace the dead ones in the planters. For that matter, I should get a wreath for the front door to look more welcoming. Then, I contemplated painting the front door to go better with a new wreath. The door mat also needed to be replaced if I was changing the whole front door look. This project snowballed way into the night (and until 3 am the next morning) as I was doped up on my project planning high and scouring the internet for the perfect wreath.

The next day things got no better. As I found the perfect wreath... I realized it didn't really go with our current foyer. Should I redo the foyer? As I began pouring over Pinterest and other planning ideas I stumbled across this amazing photo ...
and I thought I MUST do that to our front balcony! It would look amazing! Well, it would look amazing if we had the whole house whitewashed instead of the current red brick color...

See what I mean? Interior design is a dangerous and slippery slope. Ha! Lucky for me, the brakes are often put on all my project whims by the almighty (and scarce) $. There's just never enough of it to humor all my ideas. :)

However, for those of you think that think my house is perfect, it's not... and I wanted to share some of what my vision is for it. This is what I see in my mind when I walk through the rooms... :)

Pallet wood bar facade
I would love to add wood planks under the bar in our kitchen. This is really more a matter of finding the pallet wood and time to stain/install it than money since it's a low budget item.

Subway tile backsplash
I would love to add white subway tile as a backsplash in our kitchen. Oh and I also would love to paint the cabinets white and stain our wood floors dark. HAHAHA No big projects or anything...(Oh and did I mention we haven't even bought this house yet? Haha "If you give a designer a project.." point made. Haha)

Anyways... back to my hopes and dreams... I'd like to make the sitting room across from the kitchen and dining room more of an actual living room. This is my dream sofa to add in here with an ottoman I already own reupholstered and of course some gorgeous side tables.
Speaking of reupholstery, Zach and I recently snagged this chair a neighbor discarded and I can't wait to have it redone and added to our downstairs living room. The space next to the fireplace has been empty waaaay too long!
Wall art
Already have my animals sawed in half. Just need to paint and frame.

Oh and don't get me started on all the bathroom reno I have in my head...There are also plenty of odds and ends here and there I want to do - add a deer trophy here, some frames there, window box planters on the porch, etc. The projects are seriously never-ending, but I guess that's what a designer loves most- the ability to create and then recreate. It's a beautiful yet vicious cycle. :)

So, what's the next project you wanna do in your home? Don't ask me unless you are ready for what happens when you "give a designer a project"! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment