Monday, July 8, 2013

The Awakeover

Wow. I have 8 (yes, 8) blog post drafts sitting in my queue, waiting to be posted. I am overwhelmed by how much I have to catch up on! The summer has flown by, but I don't want to forget to take the time to write down our memories before I forget them! So much has been on my mind lately that I KNOW if I don't do it now, I won't do it. So here goes #1 of 8...

Our time with Allie has been so great and purposeful this summer. She is certainly blossoming into a young lady and entering that delicate pre-teen/teenager stage. In addition to all the fun and normal stuff we do as a family, this year we wanted to help her begin developing her independence and general life skills, ya know relationally and practically. This has enabled Allie to have a tremendous amount of fun this summer (some of which remains un-photographed because I wasn't there for it - insert independent moment for Al.) Things like:

• going to the movies with Advance (student ministry)
• playing with friends at the church
• volunteering at FHC by helping to paint the camp set,
by helping to lead motions for kids worship (SO PROUD OF HER for breaking out of her comfort zone to do this), and also by volunteering to run the tech booth in the Art Studio!

• attending church/participating in a LifeGroup
• Half-day YMCA camp with her friend Emma

• serving the homeless with my DGroup at the Homeless Resource Center downtown
• daddy-daughter dates every Monday while I'm leading my DGroup
• Chick-fil-a movie night watching Girl Rising documentary (Amazing. Watch it. )
• going to the library to pick out books to read this summer
• playing with Moose (Justin and Jenny's Lab)
• picking blackberries

• and of course having a sleepover. Because the summer wouldn't be the summer without one. However, due to the nature in which Allie treats sleepovers, I am going to start calling them the AWAKEOVERS. Ha! This girl loves staying up late and once a year, at her annual summer sleepover, she gives it her best shot to stay up ALL night. (Oh, to be young again and think staying up all night is fun. Lol)

Anyways, here are some pics I snapped at the "awakeover" while I was still awake!
Dinner on the back deck

Payton
 Annie
Allie
 Emma

(I swear I did not stalk them with the camera the whole time. Haha)
Rainbow looms. All the rage right now.
Teamwork

The girls decided they wanted to have a singing competition. Somehow I got roped into being a contestant, but Emma won by a landslide since she was the only one who pulled off a completely memorized song! We were proud of Allie for having the confidence to stand before her friends (and Daddy- the singer extraordinaire) and rock her song, When I Get Where I'm Going by Brad Paisley and  Dolly Parton.
And a party wouldn't be a party without some explosions. :)

Girls running through the yard with sparklers in each hand.
Friends with fire. This was Allie's favorite part of the night, other than just staying up. :)
These girls love to watch movies and stay up late... no, stay up forever! Ha!
Doped up on fun
Annie fake sleeping. Ha!
After a tireless night, the awakeover was finished off with a special breakfast full of cinnamony treats - Cinnamon rolls and coffee cake (Thanks Ms. Cindy for the cake!)


So glad Allie has had so much time to build relationships with families and friends from our church. Such a blessing in our life and such precious opportunities for our girl.

Stay tuned for more of our summer, coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment