Thursday, March 21, 2013

Recent Recipes

Lately I have been craving these two recipes. I want them like everyday! Both are gluten and dairy free which is right up my alley.

Breakfast Casserole
I love breakfast casseroles. You know, the ones that have a crescent roll crust and are filled with sausage, egg, and cheesy goodness. For obvious reasons I can't really eat this so I've found the perfect healthy alternative.
Ingredients:

  • 1 lbs. breakfast sausage (can use pork, but I use turkey)
  • 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium to small, diced
  • 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
  • 1 green onion, diced (I actually used 4-5 stalks)
  • 10-12 large eggs (I used 11)
  • sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9 x 13" glass baking dish with coconut oil or whatever you choose. Set aside.
2. Prepare veggies. Dice sweet potatoes, chop spinach, and dice up green onion. Set aside separately.
3. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Remove sausage from casing and add sausage to skillet. Cook until browned and cooked through. Remove sausage from skillet keeping the sausage grease. Add sweet potatoes to grease and cook until tender, stir occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Remove sweet potatoes and place in bowl. Toss sweet potatoes with spinach, green onion, sausage, and salt and pepper until well combined. Place the mixture into your prepared 9 x 13 glass dish, spreading evenly across the bottom of the dish.
5. In another large bowl, whisk eggs. Pour egg mixture evenly over the sausage and veggie mixture in the dish.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Cut into squares and serve. Makes 8 - 10 servings. (I cut mine into 15 squares.)


Zucchini Fritters
I also am all about some zucchini fritters. I think it's because the taste reminds me of Egg Foo Young. Anybody ever eat that entree at a Chinese restaurant besides me? :) It's been years since I've had it and looking back, it was rather disgusting with all those weird "pork" pieces and that thick gravy-like duck sauce or whatever it was. Anyways, these zucchini fritters are delish and much less suspicious than Egg Foo Young.
Ingredients:

  • 2 medium size zucchini
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 large potato
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1/4 cup flour (I use gluten free)
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (I use 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt for dipping (I don't use this)


Directions:
1. Peel the zucchini, carrot, potato, and onion. Shred all the vegetables using a cheese grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding attachment. (Note: Grating the onion = much eye pain. Get ready to cry your face off. It's so much worse than cutting up an onion!) Place in a strainer and let sit for 10 minutes. Press down on the vegetables, allowing excess water to drain off. I used a salad spinner and spun the vegetables dry which worked great.
2. Pour shredded vegetables into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the flour and salt over the shredded vegetables. Toss to coat. Add eggs and mix well until combined As you work, if you have a lot of excess moisture, drain it off.
3. Heat 1 cup (or 1/2 cup) vegetable oil in a 12" non-stick pan until it reaches 350 degrees. Drop spoonfuls into the oil and let cook, flipping to brown both sides.
4. Once they are cooked to your desired doneness (we like them crispy) set them on paper towels to drain off excess oil. I also pat the tops with paper towels to really remove as much oil as possible.  


Prosciutto and Pear snack
And last but not least, this little delightful snack. Super quick and easy. Simply slice up a pear or apple and top with a slice of prosciutto, goat cheese, and lightly drizzle with honey. (Yes I know this has dairy in it, but I occasionally treat myself with it. So there.)
I am always on the hunt for more gluten free, dairy free, preservative free, nutrition full meals. If you have a favorite that meets this criteria, please share! I love expanding my recipe book!

No comments:

Post a Comment