Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hotel Hot List

Zach and I are boutique hotel snobs. We embrace this about ourselves and honestly, find that it makes our travels a lot more enjoyable. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be a gazillionaire to stay at nice places. Over the years we have stumbled upon some incredible hotels such as:

Hotel Allegro in Chicago
I stayed here once during a business trip and loved it. Part of the Kimpton boutique hotel group, this downtown hotel takes color, pattern, and luxury to another level.
The rooms are small, but very well designed. Geometric wallpaper really sets it a part.

The W Atlanta - Buckhead
Zach and I stayed at this Starwood beauty after our wedding and loved the charming and eclectic vibe of this hotel.

With lots of textures and fabrics, these lovely rooms have a very one-of-a-kind feel even though it's a large hotel.

The Camden Harbor Inn in Maine
Also on our honeymoon we stayed at this cozy inn on Maine's gorgeous coast. It was seriously an incredible find in such a small town.
 Upscale hotel restaurant we ate at
Even though the inn has only 20 rooms, they leave little to be desired. With views of Penobscot Bay, Camden Harbor and the mountains, these European styled rooms are a fabulous retreat.


The Glenn Hotel in Atlanta
Since finding this downtown gem I have become obsessed with Marriott's Autograph Collection Hotels. They are truly fantastic and I hope I can stay at all of them! The Glenn is particularly special because it's across the street from where I use to work. It has a stately hotel bar, restaurant, and boasts a stellar roof top lounge with views of the city.

Even though the rooms are small, we love staying here because of the attention to detail and affordability. The soft lighting, finishes, and even the king size Pacific Coast feather pillows are right up our alley.
Twelve at Atlantic Station in Atlanta
If you are looking for something a little larger for a longer stay in the ATL, Twelve is the perfect choice. Designed as condos, these spacious urban-styled rooms have full kitchens and living areas. Zach and I stayed here on a mini Atlanta getaway weekend and loved it. The exposed concrete ceilings and modern details were a great touch.
The Mansion at Forsyth Park - Savannah
This is another Autograph Collection Hotel and definitely a favorite. Fabulous artsy hotel with a unique history, incredible design, and great price.

The rooms are very luxurious with awesome ornate headboards. We seriously love this place and I hope to bring Allie back here sometime for a girls weekend.
In all my vacation hunting over the years I have stumbled upon even more lovely hotels that I am dying to stay at all over the world. So here is my hotel hot list of places I want to stay sometime...

The Vedma - Santorini, Greece
This is my dream vacay and hotel. My life will be complete if I get to go to Greece and stay here one day. Ha!
Love love love the use of color on the door and window frames.

The Athenaeum Hotel - London
London is a also a dream vacay for us. Actually, just the entire UK. I hope maybe we can go here for our 5th anniversary... or maybe 10th. Ha!

The Sea Cove Inn - Moss Beach, CA
Found this little gem recently and I so want to stay here when we visit Cali. So charming, so quaint.


The Viceroy - Santa Monica
So this one jumps out of our boutique bucket and goes straight to top of the line luxury. OMG, The Viceroy. If Zach is ever up for a grammy we are SO staying here!


The Blue Moon Hotel - Miami
The Blue Moon is yet another Autograph Collection Hotel that encapsulates the local beauty and vibe of it's city with modern elegance.


Casa Marina - Key West
At some point we plan on visiting Key West. It's just a 14 hr drive from CLT and strangely, costs more to fly to Miami than San Francisco! Nevertheless, this place in on my list of future vacation spots.


The Jane - NYC
So the Jane isn't exactly boutique, but it is definitely original and a place I'd like to experience. This hotel was the place the Titanic survivors stayed after the ship's sinking in 1912. Even though it's been a few different places since, it now boasts that same early 1900s charm, but with a quirky twist.


And now for the more practical hotels. Here's a handful I hope to try and tackle this year as we travel around the southeast.

Hutton Hotel - Nashville
Zach and I are hoping for a mini vacay in Nashville this May with Allie and my MIL Cindy. If we do this I really hope we can stay here and enjoy one of our favorite cities.

Grove Park Inn - Asheville
I have visited the Grove Park Inn before, but never been a guest. I hope to come to this 100 yr old mountain getaway sometime and maybe even go to the spa! This place is so cozy with giant stone fireplaces, rich wood tones, and warm Prairie style details.

 Spa pool
The Grove Park Inn is currently undergoing some renovations and updating the rooms to look like this. So fab!
Casa Monica - St. Augustine
Yet another Autograph Collection Hotel, but this one is about an hour from my parent's home in central Florida. It would make the perfect one night getaway if we are visiting family. (Hint for Zach :))


The Grand Bohemian - Asheville
This Autograph Collection Hotel is just outside the Biltmore Estate. I am hoping that for Allie's fall break we can take a trip over to western NC, stay at our vacation home in Lake Junaluska, go apple picking again in Hendersonville, and stay here while visiting the Biltmore when it's not so hot (Biltmore doesn't have AC).


Well, I think that about covers it for now. Ha! Now that you know our hotel tastes, do you have any recommendations? I love finding new places especially in the south!

1 comment:

  1. Casa Marina is absolutely gorgeous! I stayed there with my family 8 years ago. Thank you for all your photos and suggestions! I am going to add these to my wish lists! :-)

    ReplyDelete