Saturday, February 23, 2013

Snow and Skating

Last weekend was our first real snow in Charlotte this year. It was awesome! It came on so fast and snowflakes the size of cotton balls were falling from the sky in the most beautiful, silent way. We were in heaven!

The first few flakes caught by Allie
And within 15 minutes everything looked like this!
Front of our house
Backyard through the porch
Boots on our deck
On our fence!
This girl loves snow as much as me!
And she loves to eat fresh snow! (Is that ok? Ha!)
We also enjoyed 2 snowball fights in the yard. Allie was shocked that I would have one with her. When I asked her why she said, "Because you're an adult. Adults don't do things like that." Haha!! Well I am determined to prove her wrong. :)
On Sunday, I woke up and the lovely snow was still there! It didn't hang on all day, but it was a fabulous view from my bathroom window that morning.
At church, Allie got to hang out with her best pals, Emma and Annie.
As usual, they spent their time making forts out of props and furniture.
I love that although these girls are growing up, they still love to dream and play. Those were the days weren't they? :) And speaking of friends, Allie made a new one this week as well - Mr. Caleb Chadwick.
Caleb was born before Christmas, but due to his newness (and cold and flu season) he didn't have many visitors. That put his introduction to Allie back until February. Isn't he adorable? Our family loves this little guy so much!
And his mama and daddy! (Ryan not pictured. Ha!)
And his big sister AG!
And that brings me to Sunday night. Sunday night the student ministry was having a 80s themed skating party over at Kate's Skating Rink. Allie wanted to go and we were thrilled to take her since she doesn't have the opportunity to be a part of a youth group much. We got dressed up in our best 80s look and headed over to Indian Trail to join in the fun.

Allie and Ryan (Caleb's dad and student pastor of Advance, FHC's youth ministry)
  The three amigos!
The awesome potato skates! Love how Allie's laces don't match. Ha!

Daddy is ready!
 Allie is ready!
And here we go!

Allie is not the most confident skater. In fact, this was only her second time skating. The first time was 2 years ago, here at this same rink, for one of her friend's birthday parties. As she tenaciously got to the rink, she wanted to hold on to my hand for balance as we skated around. No big deal, I thought, so I helped her along and kept her balanced as we circled around. We had only gone around the rink a few times when Allie lost her balance and fell, accidentally pulling me down with her. I just thought it was a basic, skating fall, but as I felt my sore chin that had hit the floor, I found something much different.

Blood.

Lots of blood. I quickly hopped up, found a volunteer to stay with Allie and skated off to the bathroom as fast as possible. Blast! My chin had been busted open and it did not look pretty. Allie was very upset since she felt like it was her fault, but I assured her it was just an accident. My mom radar was going strong and I kept my cool so Allie didn't worry. Zach was certain I needed stitches though so off to Urgent Care we went. This was definitely NOT how I expected the night to go. Ha!
The Urgent Care visit was short and sweet... and they better not bill me for the one bandaid they gave me. They did not feel comfortable stitching me up without xrays so they sent me on to the emergency room. Luckily, the nearest emergency room did not have a wait so it was a fairly short visit. (Side note: I have not been into the emergency room since I was 9 or 10 and split my forehead open. I got it butterflied, so this would be my first set of stitches.)

Waiting with my hospital bracelet. Weird.
I felt so bad for Allie though. You see while she was in Charlotte with us, her mom had been hospitalized for some complications with her pregnancy. As we pulled onto the hospital property Allie said, "Are you going to have to stay overnight? Because I don't think I can handle both my moms in the hospital." Ha! Poor sweet girl. Zach and I assured her I would be in and out as quickly as possible and just getting a few stitches. I didn't want Allie to witness any of my medical treatment, so I left her and Zach in the waiting room while the doctor stitched me up. And Dr. Beth did a pretty good job if I do say so myself.
The worst part about it was by far the headache I had before we starting skating escalating into a full on migraine. It erupted into agonizing waves of pain while I was being stitched up and after. I honestly thought I was going to have an aneurysm right there at the hospital. Luckily Zach and Allie got me some Excedrin that resolved my pain about 30 minutes after leaving the hospital. These two sweet people also got me a Big Kiss and a Little Kiss to cheer me up (which was a funny twist of an inside joke of ours from the movie Nacho Libre). It was hilarious and I loved their thoughtfulness and wit.

(photo taken the following day)

Even though the night did not go as expected, I was so thankful for MANY things.

  1. That I got hurt instead of Allie. Praise the Lord! 
  2. That all I did was bust open my chin and not damage my teeth or face in any other way. I have a major phobia about something happening to my teeth so  praise the Lord!
  3. That I did not have to wait long to receive medical care. The incident happened around 6:30 and we were home before 9 pm! Praise the Lord!
  4. That I have insurance. Praise the Lord!
  5. That Dr. Beth did a good job and I will have a very tiny scar.
  6. That Zach was able to care for Allie while I was being attended to. They even had the family worship night Zach and I had planned for later that evening at home, in the car while I was in the ER. Praise the Lord!
  7. That I have friends who are nurses that can take my stitches out today so I don't have to go back to Urgent Care of the ER. Praise the Lord!

Even though I had this unexpected trip to the ER, everything turned out fine and when we got home we all enjoyed gluten free pizza, some cookies, and a good movie! It ended up being a great night with my family and that's all I can ask for.

And even though we did lots of fun things over the past few days, I'd say that my favorite moments are the ones not captured by a camera. They are the conversations and the hugs and the family devos, and praying for each other, and just... continuing to build strong, healthy, meaningful relationships with our family. I really feel like God slows down time for us when Allie is here and multiples it! We are so blessed and I can't wait for Allie to be back for spring break. It's gonna be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment