Thursday, November 1, 2012

Gimme some pie

Ever since I was a child I have loved pie. Apple pie, pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, cherry pie, key lime pie, pecan pie. You pie it, I like it. There's even a home video of me as a 2 year old, jumping off the sofa and yelling, "Gimme some pie!"

Surprisingly, even though I have loved pie my entire life, I have never made a fruit pie before. Shocking I know since I love to bake and create beautiful and tasty treats. (For Thanksgiving in 2009, I did make Zach's Grandma Faulk's famous pecan pie, and although it was amazingly tasty, it did not require me to work with any raw dough so to me, this doesn't really count. :))

This week, I decided to end this lack of pie-baking and made mini cinnamon apple pies for the Halloween party we were attending. I found a recipe on Pinterest (shocker) and went to work. I did not make my own crust, but rather bought refrigerated crust as the recipe called for. For my first real pie baking experiment, I was happy with how they turned out - appearance and taste! They are a perfect fall treat and just the right size.

Mini Apple Pies

Ingredients:
- 8 cups of diced apples (about 1, 5 lbs bag)
- 12 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 4 tbsp cinnamon (next time, I would probably use a little less than this)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp of chilled butter cut into 24 equal portions
- 2 boxes of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
- 1/4 c brown sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling

Directions:
1. Mix diced apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
2. Unroll your first pie crust and cut several circles out.   Continue this until you have enough crusts. I used a wide mouth mason jar ring and it worked great.
3. Line each cup of your muffin tin with a tiny pie crust (I sprayed mine with cooking spray prior, just to be safe, but you probably don't have to.) You can then gently fill the crusts with your apple mixture and push the crusts down the rest of the way.
4. Then take your equally divided butter and put a piece on each pie.  
5. Cover as desired with left over dough (I cut strips to dress it more like a traditional pie). Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture, and bake at 400 for 18 to 22 minutes, until lightly browned.   

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment