A few years back my Aunt Susan gave me this cookie cookbook.
Jam Up Oatmeal Cookies.
Due to the multi-step assembly process of the cookie it's a bit of work, but totally worth it. I recommend making the dough and rolling it out a few hours ahead of when you need to actually cut and bake the cookies.
Jam Up Cookies
- 1 butter flavor Crisco stick
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups quick oats (not instant or old fashioned)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 jar of jam (we love apple or strawberry)
- sugar for sprinkling
1. Combine Crisco and brown sugar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Beat in eggs and almond extract.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix into Crisco mixture at low speed until just blended. Stir in oats and chopped nuts. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour. (This is where I roll out the dough in-between wax paper sheets and refrigerate.)
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets (or use parchment paper).
4. Roll out dough (if you haven't already, half at a time, to about 1/4 inch thickness on floured surface. Cut out with 2 to 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Place 1 tsp of jam in center of half the rounds. Top with remaining rounds. Press edges to seal. Prick centers, sprinkle sugar. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
5. Bake one baking sheet at a time at 350 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove cookies to foil or cooling racks to cool completely. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Enjoy! I am sure you will love them! And send me a photo if you make them!