Sunday, October 7, 2012

A wall with words

So lately I've been working on a little refresh of Allie's bedroom. Her trees, pictured on this blog post, burned out and were getting pretty... delicate. I took this as an opportunity to redo a few things. One change is her new book wallpaper. I saw this idea of covering a wall with book paper originally at a bar/ restaurant/ music venue in Decatur, GA. I loved it, but forgot about it until I saw it done again on Pinterest.

After a brief search to find a vintage book, I decided to tea-stain a new book so it looked old instead. At the time, I had no idea this would be such a time consuming project. Now that it's finished I am glad I did it, but it was like a week of work! Ha!

Anyways, I picked Anne of Green Gables as the book because it's a great story about a girl who pursues her passions and has loads of adventures. Allie and I have watched this movie and it's been a favorite of mine for a lifetime.
Initially I just started tearing, but I learned that it's easier/ cleaner to pull out each section (that you can see bound together at the spine) and cut loose the strings. Then, all that's left is tearing the spread and usually, it leaves a nice, even rough edge.


Soaking in a tea/coffee blend. The longer you soak, the browner the paper becomes.
After soaking in tea, the paper goes on a cookie sheet in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes at 200 degrees. (This is why it takes for.ev.er. ) After it comes out, it finishes drying while the edges are pressed under books and magazines so the edges don't curl up.
Drying.
It's not the best pic, but you can see the paper on the left is the original and the right is the tea-stained. It's much more vintage, much more Allie-ish. :)
Stacks of paper ready to go up. I first stapled large sheets of paper to the wall as a barrier between the book paper and wall. This way, the wall is not damaged whenever we want to do something different here. I rubber-cemented the book paper to the large sheets.
It took about 300 total pages (ouch). I ended up also buying Anne of Avonlea to finish it up. Here's the finished product.





A special reminder right under her mirror.
All said and done the project cost about $25 bucks and looks awesome. I can't wait for Allie to see it this week! More updates on her room coming soon!

2 comments: