Thursday, September 6, 2012

My t-shirt melting meltdown

(I wrote this last Tuesday and just had the nerve to post it today.)

This morning things started off rough.
They started off rough because they started off in my closet. 
Right now, I don't have the best relationship with my closet due to the fact I've barely added to it in 2 1/2 years. It's depressed and I'm depressed. My once awesome wardrobe packed with Anthropologie beauties is now stretched out, dated, and in need of repair.

In my rush to get ready this morning, I tried to quickly overcome my dissatisfaction by putting on my black Club Monaco t shirt and jean shorts I had worn the day before to breakfast. 

The shorts:
These shorts I tend to wear a lot. In fact, it was only 3 days ago that I brought these shorts back into circulation by sewing two buttons back on them after they had popped off from overuse. 2 beat-up-by-the-dryer, metal shank buttons I might add. It's by far my favorite pair of shorts, even though they are getting kinda raggedy. Honestly though, they don't really have much competition. I only own 4 pairs of shorts and 2 of them I don't even like. 

The shirt:
I don't own many cool t shirts. Most of my clothing choices were made while I was living the city life/being a professional working woman in the ATL. Most my tops are blouses from Anthro (or something similar), so cool casual is not exactly my wardrobe sweet spot. This shirt however, has been with me since my Atlanta shopping spree days and is one of my few Club Monaco pieces.

The problem:
The design on the front of my cool CM tee needed an ironing so I ran downstairs and spruced it up. I hurried back upstairs and began the product overhaul (deodorant, make up, perfume, hair, etc). While reaching up into the cabinet, I knocked over my bottle of lotion and the pump top assaulted my freshly ironed shirt. Blast! I quickly grabbed a hand towel and wiped all the lotion dabs off my shirt. Luckily, it wasn't too bad and the tee was still wearable.

Crisis averted, I looked back into the mirror and noticed, to my horror, I had melted the collar detail of my tee while ironing. 

Crap.
CRISIS. NOT. AVERTED.

Well, that's one less cool shirt I own now. Seconds later I looked down at my shorts and noticed a big white stain on the hem, apparently caked on icing from the cinnamon rolls I had taken to the breakfast gathering the day before. Seriously?!

I. AM. A. HOT. MESS.

I ripped off the tee and headed straight for my closet where I found at least 4 other tops I detested. I immediately threw these in a heap for GoodWill even though to me, there was nothing good about them. 

In the midst of my meltdown, a friend of mine randomly text me to ask if I had read the book "Seven" by Jen Hatmaker. She told me it was about how to handle excess and I thought surely my current crisis was excluded from this "excessive lifestyle" she referenced. 

Frustration, confusion, and dissatisfaction overcame me like a wild animal looking for food in the dead of winter. If Zach had not been sleeping in the bed across from the closet, I swear I would have set the whole thing on fire. 

I was desperate. Desperate for fashion. And so I did the only thing a sensible person would do - I made a beeline for the local boutique where I had store credit as soon as I was moderately presentable. 

On my way to the shop, images of hungry, thirsty, and half-naked children from all over the world crossed my mind. I convinced myself that store credit at a womens boutique could not help them, so I continued on my trek. 30 minutes later I left with a new sweater, something I cannot even use until this heat wave passes and fall decides to grace us with her cool, calm, presence.

Later on that day I entered Shop Ruche's "Win free dresses for a year" contest and added actually winning the contest to my prayer list (oh the shame).

Sigh (and shaking my head).

Oh the patheticness. But that is me today, fighting the claws of materialism that reach up and rear their ugly head every so often.

I started doing a little research on this curious "Seven" book and to be honest, I'm hoping Ashley forgets she mentioned it to me. (If you're reading this Ashley, I'm kicking myself for reminding you again via the blog. Blast! :))
Among other things, Jen Hatmaker's 7 month experiment against excess includes one month of only 7 articles of clothing. That means for one month you basically wear the exact same thing. Every. Single. Day. Oh, and did I mention shoes and accessories are included in the count? (I sure hope under garments aren't included! Yikes!) Yeah, I know. It sounds completely, miserably, horrifically absurd. But it's got me thinking.

Thinking about what is excess. Thinking about what is necessary. Thinking about what distracts me. Thinking about what helps me love others more and be more focused on what Jesus wants me to do. I definitely don't think being fashionable is a sin, but just like anything in this world, it can be twisted into something that ends up turning us away from our greater purpose and our great creator.

I'm still not sure if I have the nerve to read Jen's book and take on her challenge. I'm still in the process of trying to wrap my mind around Radical by David Platt and Love Does by Bob Goff. Another blog I read on the subject of "Seven" suggested doing each challenge for one week instead of one month and that seems much more doable. But is that cheating? Or maybe it's the forge-your-own-path rebel way of doing things. That definitely appeals to me. :)

Has anyone else done the Seven challenge? If I build up the nerve to do it, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

2 comments:

  1. Shelly,

    I have heard of this challenge on the Style network a year or so ago. In the same series it showed a couple who also went minimal in their lifestyle. It really affected me and caused me to throw a lot way. I will see if I can fine the links to that particular show and e-mail it to you!

    Cheers!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete