Sunday, July 8, 2012

Family Reunion Part 1

Due to the number of images, I'm splitting up our annual family reunion into two posts. Every summer since before I was even born, my mom's side of the family has gotten together in Lake Junaluska, NC. It's a long standing family tradition that now brings together over 30 family members from various cities and states. Zach and Allie both love Lake J so I was happy we got to come back here this summer as a family.

Allie was so ready she was willing to drive us there. :) Ha!
One of the tried and true reunion traditions is that all the guys play golf together each morning. Zach is a really great golfer, but unfortunately he only makes it to the course once a year during the family reunion. LOL. Here he is practicing Sunday night before teeing off Monday morning with the family and giving Allie a quick lesson.
After dinner Sunday night, Zach, Al, and I headed to the driving range to get in a few drives. I love this photo of them.

 Allie helped speed up the process by keeping new balls on the tee for Z.

At Lake J, we stay with my grandparents at their house on the west side of the lake. It's an old 100 year old home that all three of us love. Here's a pic of Zach and Allie in the guest room chatting and laughing before bed. I love how happy they are together.
On Monday, Zach, Al, my mom, and I went to Asheville. Our first stop was Early Girl Eatery for lunch.

I love the turquoise window frames and hanging ferns in the dining room.
After a tasty lunch we went to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge so I could get cold sipping chocolate. YUM. YUM. YUM.
 Gorgeous chocolates
A variety of gourmet brownies (Allie got one!)
Mom and Al looking at all the fancy, imported chocolates
These even have the cocoa bean farmer on the packaging. I love it!
After our chocolate treats, we headed to the movie theatre to see Brave in 3D!
Afterwards, we took silly pics in the lobby Photo Booth! So fun. Allie's been laughing at these photo strips ever since.
After dinner with the family that night, we hopped in the car and drove up to Cataloochee in an attempt to see the sun set. We missed it by minutes, but it was still a lovely view.

Views of Lake J, in the valley

Views from Cataloochee, the mountain top
Horses on a hill
 And look who came to greet us on the road!
I love this old truck buried in the brush. We always pass it on our drive up the mountain and I always want to get out and do a photo shoot here. :)
On Tuesday, we headed to downtown Waynesville for lunch at Panacea, a cafe and coffee house with lots of character and rustic charm.

 The Molly Cristo sandwich with Panacea sides, pretzels and fresh fruit.
After lunch, Zach, Allie, and I went kayaking on the lake. Surprisingly, I have never done this here, but it was super fun. We loved it!





 Our kayaking was cut short by a rain storm, but that didn't stop Allie from having fun. She loves playing in the rain and puddles.
Tuesday night was the annual cookout at my grandparents. My favorite part about the cookout (and one of my favorite parts of the whole reunion!) is my grandma's homemade oreo ice cream cake. OMG. I love this cake and look forward to it the whole year!
Deeeeelish!
And a night at Lake J would not be complete without Zach swinging a golf club in the front yard. And Allie too. Ha! :)
Stay tuned for more from our family reunion, coming tomorrow to the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment