Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What I've Learned

So I am 9 weeks into my FAID, or what I am realizing is really more a new lifestyle now. I've had some rough days in there, but I'm doing better and feeling better now that some new supplements are getting my thyroid doing it's job.

My GI Repair program will be pretty much finished in a week and my stomach feels great. It seems really stable, calm, and healthy. I continue to have no stomach aches or signs of significant digestion problems so that is a huge win.

I also continue to be off all traditional medicine to regulate my Hashimoto's and PCOS so that is also good, especially considering the medicine for PCOS is linked to pancreatic cancer. (Yikes. And no thank you.)

Lately I have started trying more new foods (foods I had only a mild allergy too), and it's really opened things up for me. Things like hummus, sprouts, soy, coconut,  tomato, and some spices. I've also come to realize that I probably will never go back to eating how I was before. It wasn't unhealthy on paper, but it wasn't what was best for my body. Going forward I will continue on a predominately no-gluten, no-dairy, low sugar diet. 9 weeks ago, the thought of no-gluten and no-dairy was the worst news I could have ever heard. Now though, there are so many gluten-free and dairy-free products in the marketplace that it is really quite do-able (if your pocketbook can survive it).

Here are some of my new finds...
Blueberry kefir (I am still limited to only berries and no other fruit). Even though kefir is technically a dairy product, it is considered more raw since it is not processed like most dairy products. Kefir is also packed with a ton of probiotics and that really helps maintain a healthy GI tract .  Every morning I have kefir with a few frozen blueberries.

I also have branched out and started trying the apple cinnamon flavored rice cake (gasp!). It's crazy delish and so much better than the plain salted. :)

I also am eating Kind natural fruit and nut bars as easy, on-the-go snacks. They are pretty expensive, but are all natural, gluten-free, dairy-free, and free of a bunch of other stuff so I consider it worth it.

I also have tried a few gluten-free, dairy-free desserts including cookies, frozen yogurt (made of kefir), and fudge pops (made from coconut milk). All have been awesome, but let's be honest.... anything is awesome after 8 weeks of nothing. Ha!

Oh and let's not forget gluten-free bread.
Oh bread... my favorite food. That has been a lifesaver for me and allowed me to have an occasional sandwich or piece of toast.

I also am beginning to research more and more recipes as I enter back into cooking and preparing more complex meals. I've stumbled across a few great websites that I totally love and can't wait to try out.

The Dashing Dish
A friend just posted about this site on FB and I am mildly obsessed with it already. I love the recipes, love the nutrition facts, love the photography, and love gluten-free sweets, within reason of course. :)

Adventures of a Gluten-free Mom
I have been struggling with how much of my new eating lifestyle I should incorporate into Allie's diet. She's about to spend the next 5 weeks with us and I want to make sure her body is getting what it needs as well as helping her maintain healthy digestion. However, I also don't want to remove all the yummy goodness from her life. I mean, I grew up eating Honey Nut Cheerios and Cinnamon Toast Crunch everyday and I LOVE my parents for it. :)

The bottom line is though... I don't want Allie to have health problems at a young age. I want her body to function properly. And even though we don't have control over what she eats 365 days a year, it is our job to teach her about food, what she needs, and how to care for herself properly so she can stay happy, healthy, and fit for a lifetime.

So far, my goals for her this summer are to stay moderately gluten and dairy free (everyone has gluten and dairy sensitivities even if you don't feel it), and limited sweets. I think I am going to invite her into the meal-planning conversation so we can make wise and healthy decisions together. We'll see how that goes. :)

I am looking forward though to trying a few new treats together like gluten-free cinnamon rolls, brownies, and muffins. See, I can still be a fun (gluten-free) mom! :)

So I know there's still a ton for me to learn and discover on this journey of health, but I am trusting God to lead the way and transform my body (and mind) in his time and for his glory, not my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment