Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rosie's Room

This past weekend I headed to Florida for a bedroom re-do project for Rosie Marshall's 13th birthday. While in college, I got to know the Marshall family through the college ministry at my church. Rosie's mom Lea hired me to design and help implement Rosie's new room. For the past few weeks we have been "Pinteresting" some ideas as well as my sketched concepts. Lea started ordering some products I recommended and had the ceiling and existing bed painted before my arrival Thursday to make the transformation happen.

While in town, I was hosted by my dear college roommate and friend of 10 years (wow! :)), Erin. When I wasn't working on the room, I was enjoying catching up with my faithful friend.

Of course we watched Gilmore Girls, one of our favorite shows
and ate at Kool Beanz Cafe
Delicious grilled pork chops served with a bacon-horseradish sauce, served over baked beans with spinach and fingerling potatoes. Yum.
Oh yeah, Erin has the cutest dog named Georgia who I have known since her infancy. Naturally, she is much larger now.
Love you Er! Thanks for having me and helping in the new room! (room preview!)
And lastly, before I get to the room (I know you are dying to see it now!) I HAVE to post this incredibly awesome pic of Rosie's big sis Millie playing the accordion. Yes, yes she does. And it's awesome. I sorta wish we had one of those! Millie, you and your serenading skills are welcome in Charlotte anytime!
Alright, painting pants on... time to get to work!
Few deets about the project...

  • Rosie loves nature and animals.
  • Because of this and her love of quilts, the room design was earthy and textural based around the new PB quilt color scheme.
  • All the furniture was existing to remain
  • Lea and Rosie had mentioned they wanted a cork wall so Rosie has an area to pin up photos, drawings, etc.
Here's the only "before photo"I have of the room.
After photo
The room was painted twist of lime and the frame around the cork area was painted coral reef
Rosie helped out by making these adorable butterfly pins for the cork wall.
View from doorway. Cork wall on right, bed and bookshelves to the left, chaise lounge and new cable spool side table in front of the window.
Only thing not done is the new upholstery for the chaise lounge that actually belonged to Lea when she was a girl. This is the only pic I have where you can see it beyond the bed.
This will be recovered in a natural linen that has a soft, burlapy look without the roughness of actual burlap.
The window drapery was an incredible find at a local fabric store in Tallahassee. It's a soft white linen with an embroidered floral pattern.

The poster bed was painted white and new linens and throw pillows were added in a variety of textures.
Pottery Barn quilt
Also found this really nice bird upholstery fabric at the local shop. I was seriously stunned with what we found!
On each side of the bed is a white bookshelf filled with natural baskets and books.
Above the bed are two ceramic sconces we painted yellow.
They have the cutest little roses on them.

The cork wall turned out great and the coral frame makes it really special.
Graphics designed for Rosie by her mom

The butterfly pins

More roses for Rosie
And now for my favorite addition - the cable spool side table. Lea found one on the side of the road and with a little paint, some casters, books, and accessories it's just about the cutest table on the block. 

Terrariums made by Lea's aunt. ADORABLE. I want some for Allie.
Bird's nest
 Terrarium
Awesome candle. Want this for my new guest room. :)
A wooden bird down in the books
The table cloth is made from some velvet and crocheted trim.
Above the table is a rose chandelier (also something Lea already had) that we repainted yellow. 

Rosie was super surprised when she saw her finished room (we tried to keep it a mystery!) and loved the space.
And Rosie's dog Kodie seemed to like it too. :)
Me and the birthday girl
Thanks Lea for hiring me to do Rosie's room. I hope you are really pleased. It was so fun and I loved catching up with all of you! 
A big big thanks to Adam (the dad), our trusty carpenter and handman. We could not have done it without you! And Lea - our resident seamstress who can whip out a throw pillow in 5 minutes flat. "The team" is unstoppable! :)

So I guess this experience means I am officially available for hire anywhere in the continental US... or beyond. :) Contact me for more details on services if you have a residential design project!

No comments:

Post a Comment