Reed's is the site of the very first gold discovery in America and it was a really interesting place. On our way to Midland we learned some other really interesting things about North Carolina including:
- UNC Chapel Hill is the oldest state university in the U.S.
- The first mini-golf course was in Fayetteville, NC.
- The first English child born in America was in Roanoke, NC in 1587. Her name was Virginia Dare.
- Pepsi was created in North Carolina.
- Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run in North Carolina.
- North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes in the U.S.
- Krispy Kreme was founded in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- The highest peak east of the Mississippi River, Mount Mitchell, is located in North Carolina
and a whole bunch more! (Allie has already learned a bit about the Wright brothers and their first flight of a mechanically-propelled aircraft in 1903.)
(to view slideshow, click on photo)
Outside the Linker Adit
We love living in North Carolina!