Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Food Fail

So I tried two new recipes this week and one was good, one was not. Ha! I guess it's only natural I will occasionally pick something that doesn't turn out awesome and that definitely happened this week.

Since the weather has finally cooled off I felt like making a fall-y treat. I found this Carrot-Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting recipe and thought it would be great.

I love carrot cake and zucchini bread so this had to be a dynamic concoction of the two right?

Wrong.

I made the recipe exactly as described and it looked good and smelled good, but just tasted... bland. Sadness. Oh well. I guess I'll just stick with regular carrot cake and zucchini bread for now. :)

Second new recipe this week turned out pretty good. I made Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks as a side to some homemade pizza. It was sorta like a healthy bread stick. :)


Z really liked these and my only suggestion would be to use really chunky breadcrumbs (like Panko breadcrumbs) and fresh grated parm. I used fine breadcrumbs and finely grated parm that didn't create the texture shown in the picture which I would have preferred. Anyways, here's the recipe. It's a nice way to dress up some asparagus!

Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks

Ingredients:

1 bunch of asparagus (about 30 spears)
2 egg whites
1/4 cup flour
1 c seasoned breadcrumbs (like Panko breadcrumbs)
1/4 c parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray.
2. Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. On two separate plates, add the eggs whites (lightly beaten) and the breadcrumbs,  flour, and cheese. Season the breadcrumb mixture with salt and pepper if desires. Coat each asparagus spear in egg whites, then lay in the panko mixture and thoroughly cover. If the breadcrumbs won’t stick, dip back in the egg whites and roll in breadcrumbs once again. Lay each spear on the wire rack.
3. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment