Week two of my new recipe challenge has produced 2 new recipes! I was in the mood for some fall-ish comfort food so last night Zach and I tried both these recipes and really enjoyed them. I hope you do too!
Grown Up Grilled Cheese
- sourdough bread
- mashed avocado
- apple slices
- pepperjack cheese (we used a New Zealand sharp white cheddar instead)
1. Butter outside of two pieces of bread. Layer mashed avocado, apple slices, bacon, cheese, and top piece of bread.
2. Grill sandwich on griddle or panini press on both sides until golden brown.
Maple- roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/4 c EVOO
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced (recipe actually called for 4. I thought 2 was plenty)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, 2 tbsp syrup, 2 tsbp EVOO, salt, and pepper. Mix until potatoes are evenly coated.
2. Arrange on a greased sheet tray and roasted until caramelized and golden brown, approx. 20 - 30 minutes. Be sure to check them after 15 minutes and flip over.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute shallots in remaining 2 tbsp of EVOO on med- high heat until they start to caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add remaining syrup and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Lower heat to medium and cook until caramelized, another 5 minutes. If pan gets dry, add 1 tbsp of water.
4. Combine sweet potatoes and shallots in a bowl and serve immediately.