Tuesday, September 13, 2011

These are the Things

Bright and early Sunday morning I was driving up I-85 headed back to Charlotte. I had spent the weekend in Atlanta for the wedding of my dear friend/old roommate Brenae (more details on this celebration soon!). I was anxious to get back to town to see Zach and attend the 11:15 church service so it had not even crossed my mind it was September 11th. (I know, I must live under a rock.)

On this day 10 years ago, I was a freshman at FSU getting ready for class in Gilchrist, my beloved dorm of two years. I remember the news being on that morning and me and my roommate Melissa standing in total shock and disbelief as the towers fell. I remember the erie feeling on campus as I walked to my first class and quickly walked back as the university cancelled all classes and closed that day. It was weird- everything was weird, and full of a heaviness that lingered like a smoky haze.

As I was passing through Spartanburg, SC on this monumental anniversary, an incredibly beautiful sight caught my eye off exit 75 and left me speechless.


There were easily 50 people on this overpass that morning, just quietly waving their flags to all the passerby. I was so overwhelmed by this gesture, this obvious compulsion to show such affection, commitment, and support of our country that it brought tears to my eyes.
I was quickly reminded that these are the things- these small, yet amazingly powerful movements of loyalty and love that make America great. Even among all our convoluted financial problems, economic problems, political problems, and just all that is the US government right now, Americans are faithful and never forget.
A big thanks to all those folks off exit 75 for making my morning and restoring hope and loyalty in this American heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment