Friday, September 16, 2011

One a Week

So I've recently set a goal of trying one new recipe a week. To some this might seem over zealous. To others, easily achievable. I've noticed that I tend to make the same things week by week just because it's what I can quickly pull together at the grocery store since I haven't had a lot of time for meal planning.

I am actually really excited about this new goal because if I stick with it I will hopefully have close to 50 new recipes in my cooking arsenal in just a year's time. :) Wahoo! My goal is to share the good ones I discover here on the blog so all our friends and family can benefit from my cooking experiments. :) My primary goals are to find really spectacular recipes that:

  • have few ingredients
  • are fairly inexpensive
  • are mostly healthy
  • are fairly simple to prepare

This week's recipe fit the bill and is from an Everyday Food magazine I've had since 2005.

Zucchini-Scallion Fritters


Ingredients:
1 lbs. zucchini (coarsely grated)
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 large egg
2 scallions finely chopped
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c vegetable oil
sour cream for serving (optional. I did not like it with sour cream, but Zach did)

Directions:
1. Place zucchini in a colander set in the sink and toss with 1 tsp. salt. Let drain 10 minutes pressing out as much liquid as possible. (I actually will squeeze the zucchini in my hand in small bunches to drain the water.)
2. Whisk egg in a large bowl; mix in zucchini, scallions, flour, and 1/4 tsp. pepper until combined.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop mounds of batter (approx. 2 tbsp. each) into skillet; flatten slightly. Cook turning once until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate; sprinkle with salt. Repeat until batter is all used up. Serve immediately with sour cream (optional).

Serves 4
Total prep time: 35 minutes

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment