Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Savory Summery Dishes

Zach and I are trying really hard to eat healthy. I don't just mean eating fruits and vegetables, but eating organic and naturally grown food. We believe the quality of food we eat hugely impacts our daily life and longterm health. Because of this my passion for cooking has been reignited and I've stumbled upon some great new dishes.

We love to grill and are so thankful our house has an awesome grill on the back deck adjacent to our kitchen. I also love the Food Network. If we had cable and I could watch it everyday, I swear I could become a gourmet chef!

Anyways, Bobby Flay has this awesome grilled sweet potato recipe we made just the other night and it was delish!
The combination of sweet potato with lime, cilantro, cayenne, and salt is really fresh and unexpected. If you make it, I recommend brushing all sides of the potato slices with olive oil so they don't stick to the grill/ grill pan as much. Also, cut the potato slices thicker so they hold up better and don't end up as a mashed potato mess.


I haven't made Rachel Ray's jalapeno grilled corn yet, but it is on my grocery list! Looks Delish!


Nothing says summer like burgers off the grill. As a healthier substitute, Zach and I love to make pesto turkey burgers with dried cranberries and feta cheese.

I don't know where we got this recipe, but to make burgers, mix ground turkey, pesto, cheese, and cranberries together in a large bowl. Shape into patties and grill. I also spread additional pesto on the bun and use lettuce or spinach to add some crispness!

So even though we eat really healthy most the time, we still enjoy an occasional treat. Last summer I discovered this awesome little ice cream cookie cup recipe from Pillsbury. It's a perfect sweet treat on a hot summer day!
Chocolate and raspberries are one of my favorite combinations of all time so I love this dessert. When I make this I actually use a regular muffin pan. They are so easy to make and turn out looking just like the picture every time.

I'm always on the hunt for more healthy recipes so if you know of any please pass them along!

1 comment:

  1. if you want, i can pass along an awesome chicken and mushroom quesadilla recipe i just tried recently...it's from an ellie krieger cookbook (she used to be on food network i think...she only makes healthy, low-fat stuff). i never had whole-wheat tortillas before, but tried them for this recipe, and they were SO GOOD. they have some spinach in there too...YUM. almost jealous that your husband likes veggies...I have to sneak them into my hubby's food. :o)

    ReplyDelete