Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter Insight

This past Sunday was a great Easter. Zach and I had both been working really hard to make it a great day for the people and families of our church. This intense preparation for the most important day in our faith opened my eyes to a few new things I had to share here on the blog.

First off, the elementary age children at FHC got to experience Easter in a whole new way this year. We created 10 different booths/ exhibits/ stations around the Big Deal Warehouse that told each part of the Easter story from the Last Supper/ Passover meal to Christ's resurrection.

(Sorry the pics are bad. I took them quickly with the iphone and it was dark.)


Each station enabled them to touch, hear, taste, smell, or watch the different elements of each scene. A few examples include:

The Garden of Gethsemane (trees, rocks, and artwork)

The arrest of Jesus (sword, torch, and soldier's helmet)

Peter (fishing net, campfire, and rooster)

The crucifixion of Jesus (three crosses above and bench below with nails, sponge with vinegar, dice, and garment)

Empty tomb! (with cloth and fragrance)
The talented Yoshi James created a clue card where each child could write what they saw, touched, tasted, etc at each station.


Although all of it turned out really cool, there were two parts that held meaning and significance to me personally. The first thing was the last supper.

I had to do some research on the Passover meal/ Seder meal and it's so interesting! I think the purpose behind it and meaning of the symbolic foods is really significant for all believers. I'd love to annually host a traditional Passover meal with friends and celebrate not only how God used Moses to free the Jews from Egypt, but how he freed all of us from sin through Jesus. It's definitely a good reason to party. :)

Our Easter activities had a very climatic ending with the releasing of white doves, one at each of the five services.

In the box
Flying high
The remarkable thing about these doves is that they know how to get home. We rented them from a man about 30 miles away and no matter where they are released they will figure out their way home. I have no idea how this is possible, but it's amazing! On some symbolic level it makes me think that deep down we all know where our ultimate home should be and the way to get there. We just have to want to get home.

So in addition to what happened for the kids on Easter, it was so special for me to see Zach lead worship in the SouthPark sanctuary. (He does this every weekend, but sometimes I don't get to be there since I am teaching in a children's environment.)




Sometimes I forget what a privilege it is to be married to a worship leader and what a huge responsibility it is. It humbles me so much to see how God is using my husband as an instrument (with his instruments!) for His glory. It makes me so proud to see my husband's heart for Jesus so visible and impacting thousands. That is one of the biggest and most amazing blessings in my life. I am so honored to walk beside you Zach through ministry and life.

(Funny side story: Zach occasionally gets drawings/ notes from children sitting out in the sanctuary. It's really interesting to me that kids seem to experience worship through writing and drawing and want to share it with Z. Anyways, on Easter Zach got this portrait of himself from a young boy in the crowd. Ha! I love the nose, soul patch detail, and shirt collar. Hahahahaha)

All in all it was a GREAT Easter and I'm so glad we got to celebrate our savior's death and resurrection in such a big way with all our FHC family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment