Friday, March 25, 2011

362 Days Later, Unemployment Ends and Employee #2 Begins

Gosh... I cannot believe it's been almost a year.
Almost a year to the day.
Almost a year since I left my job in Atlanta and moved to Florida.
Almost a year since Zach and I got married and life really began.
Almost a year.

On the eve of this anniversary, it is ironic I find myself with a brand spanking new job. A new, unbelievably amazing, perfectly suited for me, creative opportunity. And it's 100 yards from my house.

Starting Monday I will be joining the Children's Ministry creative team at Forest Hill to help create and implement the large group environments for preschoolers, elementary schoolers, and families. As Creative Designer, I will help come up with creative (and physical) ways for sharing God's word with kids, participate in building crazy gadgets, props, art pieces, and set pieces, assist in managing web content and branding, help produce videos, and teach in these unique environments.

Back in February I posted about teaching in The Art Studio. The Art Studio is the preschool environment I will have the pleasure of working in on a regular basis. (I cannot believe this is my job.)





For the readers out there who don't go to FHC, That Thing is the creative environment for elementary schoolers and The Big Deal is for the whole family.

The Big Deal currently takes place between the two Sunday services.
 Family camp ad and The Big Deal truck
The Big Deal stage looking unusually tidy...
Creative teaching and story telling


Having the opportunity to work here is so much more than just having a job or collecting a paycheck. Besides enjoying just the fun/ creative stuff, it's such a privilege and responsibility to be able to teach kids about God's Word and vital life lessons that will hugely impact their childhood and adulthood. I've been wanting a job that had a really significant and lasting purpose and this definitely fits the bill.  I am completely humbled to be a part of such critical years in the lives of so many children.

It's also a blessing that Zach and I can work at the same place. Even though his office is on the Worship & Arts hall and mine will be across the facility in ... Pirate's Cove? (it's called something like that :)) it's such a massive blessing to be at the same location even if our paths don't cross.

Working so close to home is also SO AWESOME and maximizes our family time and fellowship time with co-workers, volunteers, and friends.

In looking back over the past year of unemployment, it's been really bittersweet. Even though it was extremely tough to not have a job, being a housewife (for lack of a better term) enabled Zach and I to have an easier transition into married life. It gave us tons of time together especially since Zach's work schedule is unusual and flexible. It also gave me loads of uninterrupted time with Allie that we really needed to develop our new relationship as stepmom and daughter.

I am thankful for this past year and all the hard lessons we learned and have grown from, but I can't wait to see what is in store for the rest of 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment