Saturday, October 9, 2010

Did you know?

Two interesting yet totally random tidbits we recently came across... Since we live in Florida, it's only natural that this pertains to flamingos and palm trees.

Fact # 1:
Did you know that pink flamingos get their color from the beta-carotene content in the shrimp they eat?  Flamingos that don't eat shrimp are white. Yes you heard me correctly. Like this one...


How cute is that? Like for real. It's like a duck with long legs. I want one. One named Mildred. And maybe we could feed her tacos instead of shrimp.

Fact #2:
Did you know that there are male and female palm trees?
There are a million different types of palm trees, but apparently only the female ones produce fruit. This is the case with the date palms near our house.


Crazy right?
I think I am going to try and collect some of these dates to dry and make one of my favorite recipes - baked dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment