Thursday, September 9, 2010

You are what you eat

I love documentaries. I know that makes me a big nerd, but I'm ok with that. I know some are terribly lame, but they all have at least a tiny thread of interestingness to them. Recently "Food Inc." was recommended to me and wow, was it an eye opener!


For years I have explored alternative lifestyles when it comes to food and health. I've bought organics, virtually omitted processed foods from my diet, practiced naturopathic medicine, fasted, done liver cleanses, and even done colon therapy (TMI). All of this was done in an effort to be healthy- to cleanse my body of as much unnatural gunk as possible and let my body do what it was made by God to do. Although this lifestyle is very difficult to maintain (and unfortunately expensive!) in today's culture, I believe there is a lot of merit to it and lasting results.


Up until now, my personal food journey educated me a lot about food (the use of HGH, pesticides, poor farming conditions, etc), but never about the actual source of food. Insert "Food Inc." content. Watching this has renewed my commitment to not only eating healthy, but knowing where my food comes from. Surprisingly, this is a hard thing to do when you buy from a grocery store. We have come so far from natural food sources and local community resources.


If you care about your body, your children, and your life expectancy, I highly recommend watching this movie. It will change your perspective on a lot on our country's approach to food and distribution.


I've been doing some research lately and found some interesting stuff if you are wanting to buy healthy food from reliable local sources (and cheap!).


1. Buying local food in season is really the best thing, but finding local resources can be challenging. Check out this site to see what's in your neighborhood. I bet it will surprise you! Eat Well Guide

2. I just heard about CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and I think it's awesome and want to get involved with one. CSA is way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. Here are the basics: 


• A farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. 
• Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season. 


Genius right? Find CSA's near you at Local Harvest

3. There's so much out there when it comes to food, organics (what does that word mean exactly anyway?) that it's hard to make since of it all. I recently stumbled across this article that I think has some great tips for making healthy living and clean food apart of our lives.    Tips for buying organics


I could go on and on about this and things you should know about food, but I feel like this post is plenty long. If you're interested, shoot me and email! :) Best of luck eating well!

No comments:

Post a Comment