Monday, January 18, 2010

Hello, my name is...



Here's our story written during our engagement. So much has happened since, but I thought it was appropriate to keep this up on the blog. Enjoy!





Hello, my name is Zach. I’m so stoked about marrying the most awesome woman on the planet. I don’t exactly know how two people who have come from two entirely different backgrounds can have so much in common, but we do. It’s frustrating to think about Shelly being in this world all along and we just now get to start our life together. I don’t understand it, but if I’ve learned anything over the years it’s that timing is everything.
My story began at an early age and has been filled with many challenges, all of which I am thankful for. They have made me into the man the Lord has so obviously chosen for Shelly. To quickly sum up my story, here are the highlights:
At 18 I married my high school sweet heart.
At 20, we had the most awesome girl in the world - my blond-haired, blue-eyed beauty, Allie Grace.
At 21, we divorced.
At 22, I went to school at The University of Alabama.
At 23, when everything seemed back on track, my dad and best friend was diagnosed with a terminal disease called Lou Gehrigs (or ALS). It was horrible to watch the man I thought was Superman wither away before my eyes. Triumphantly, as his muscles quickly became smaller, his heart for Christ exponentially grew. This March will mark three years dad has been with Jesus. I encourage you to check out a video called “Discovering Hope” he made for his church a couple of months before he died (http://friendshipumc.org/video.html).
At 24 , I moved to Atlanta, GA to lead worship for a church out in Snellville.
At 26, I stepped out on faith with a ministry partner to plant a church in Decatur, GA.
At 28, after a few hard years learning humility and what ministry really is about, a brown-haired girl in sunglasses and cowboy boots walked through the doors of my church and my life has never been the same since.
After talking with Shelly that Sunday and being floored by our immediate connection, I immediately walked to my pastor and told him that I could spend the rest of my life with her. Who knew she would actually turn out to be the love of my life and the soon to be Mrs. Shelly Kale.




Hello, my name is Shelly. Prior to meeting Zach I was just a regular girl living in the ATL. My time was spent working, hanging out with great friends, a little shopping, and a lot of waiting for what God had planned for my life. I had thought about/ prayed for my husband many times over the years, always desiring God’s best, asking for an extraordinary story that could only be explained by his power and amazing love.
For months I had been looking for a new church close to my new home in Decatur. I had visited many churches all over town and randomly came across a small church plant near my neighborhood. Initially I was terrified to go inside. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it was obvious the congregation was small and I was not looking to make friends. My goal was to be an invisible bystander in this unknown crowd until I decided how or when to interact with anyone. In lieu of my fears, God challenged me to attend so I grudgingly walked through the door. As the humble service began an amazingly talented musician caught my eye and the rest is history.
I am continually amazed to look back over the last few months and see how many specific prayers God has answered, how he gave me an unexpected man beyond my wildest dreams, and how our life truly is a testimony of his grace, provision, and intense love. Zach and I are so blessed to have each other and such a big love. We truly are cut from the same cloth, we are two halves to a whole. Our journey thus far has been pretty wild and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for our future. It’s definitely gonna be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment